English General Knowledge Questions and Answers
1. The Union Health Minister launched Mental Health Policy on–
(A) 20th October, 2014 (B) 10th October, 2014
(C) 5th October, 2014 (D) 11th July, 2014 (Ans : B)
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana on–
(A) 11th October, 2014 (B) 10th November, 2014
(C) 26th August, 2014 (D) 15th August, 2014 (Ans : A)
3. The 11th Metropolis Congress was organized in Hyderabad in–
(A) September 2013 (B) January 2014
(C) October 2014 (D) November 2014 (Ans : C)
4. In which area was the Indo-US military exercise ‘Yudh Abhyas 2014’ held?
(A) Solan (Himachal Pradesh) (B) Gairsen (Uttarakhand)
(C) Ranikhet (Uttarakhand) (D) Poonch (Jammu and Kashmir) (Ans : C)
5. Which of the following groups of political parties ‘could not win a single seat in the 16th Lok Sabha Election?
(A) MNS, BSP, SP, RJD (B) SP, BSP National Conference, RLD
(C) JD(U), BSP, NCP, RJD (D) DMK, RLD, National Conference, BSP (Ans : D)
6. President Pranab Mukherjee on 7th October, 2014 presented the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award for excellence in Public Administration, Academics and Management for. the year 2014 to–
(A) V. Sampath (B) Dr. A. S. Pillai
(C) Arvind Mayaram (D) Ajit Dobhal (Ans : B)
7. Who has been appointed as the Chairman of the 7th Central Pay Commission constituted by the Government of India in February 2014 ?
(A) Justice B. K. Singh (B) Justice Swatanter Kumar
(C) Justice Ashok Kumar Mathur (D) Justice Mridula Singh (Ans : C)
8. Justice J. S. Verma Committee’s Report, 2013 deals with–
(A) Centre-State relations (B) Change in law pertaining to offences against women
(C) The Fundamental Rights (D) Rights of children (Ans : B)
9. How many members are elected from Bihar to the Lok Sabha ?
(A) 20 (B) 30 (C) 35 (D) 40 (Ans : D)
10. What is the unique festival of Bihar?
(A) Deepawali (B) Bisu (C) Vinayak Chaturthi (D) Chhath Puja (Ans : D)
11. Who among the following has been awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2014 ?
(A) Kailash Satyarthi (B) Malala Yousafzai (C) Jean Tirole (D) Patrick Modiano (Ans : D)
12. Which among the following European Union countries is the first to officially recognize the State of Palestine?
(A) Sweden (B) Denmark (C) Norway (D) Italy (Ans : A)
13. Which one of the following countries has decided in January 2014 to make military service compulsory for all its adult males?
(A) North Korea (B) UAE (C) Israel (D) Turkey (Ans : B)
14. What is the theme of Global Financial Development Report, 2014 ?
(A) Hunger and poverty (B) Corruption and fraud in corporate sector
(C) Financial inclusion (D) Global recession and the Third World (Ans : C)
15. Who among the following has/ have figured in ‘Time’ magazine’s list of 25 most influential teens of 2014 ?
(A) Malia and Sasha Obama (B) Kendall and Kylie Jenner
(C) Malala Y ousafzai (D) All of them (Ans : D)
16. The Seventh BRICS Summit is proposed to be held in 2015 at–
(A) Durban, South Africa (B) Ufa, Russia
(C) New Delhi, India (D) Sanya, China (Ans : B)
17. The International Day of Persons with Disabilities is celebrated on–
(A) 10th December (B) 24th October
(C) 19th November (D) 3rd December (Ans : D)
18. Amnesty International is an organization which is associated with–
(A) Protection of women’s rights (B) Protection of human rights
(C) Abolition of untouchability (D) None of the above (Ans : B)
19. In October 2014 India has been reelected for three years as a member to–
(A) The UN Security Council (B) The UN General Assembly
(C) The UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) (D) The World Bank (Ans : C)
20. Angola, Malaysia, New Zealand, Spain and Venezuela were elected as non-permanent members on 16th October, 2014 to serve in–
(A) The UN General Assembly (B) The UN Trusteeship Council
(C) The UN Human Rights Commission (D) The UN Security Council (Ans : D)
21. Which one of the following countries won the highest number of Gold Medals at the Winter Olympic Games held in Sochi in February 2014?
(A) Canada (B) Russia (C) Norway (D) USA (Ans : B)
22. Who among the following cricket all-rounders cracked the fastest century in one-day international cricket history in January 2014 ?
(A) Darren Bravo (B) James Faulkner
(C) Glenn Maxwell (D) Corey Anderson (Ans : D)
23. Who was the winner of the Champions League T-20, 2014?
(A) Kolkata Knight Riders (India) (B) Rajasthan Royals (India)
(C) Sydney Sixers (Australia) (D) Chennai Super Kings (India) (Ans : D)
24. What was India’s position in the 17th Asian Games in 2014?
(A) 8th (B) 6th (C) 3rd (D) 4th (Ans : A)
25. Who among the following was the Gold Medal winner in the 17th Asian Games Men’s Free-style 65 kg Wrestling?
(A) Jittu Rai (B) Sandeep Kumar (C) Rajat Chauhan (D) Yogeshwar Dutt (Ans : D)
26. Which country achieved the fifth position in the 20th Common-wealth Games?
(A) Sri Lanka (B) Nepal (C) England (D) India (Ans : D)
27. Who won her first Grand Slam Australian Open Tennis Competition, 2014 (Women’s Singles) ?
(A) Li Na (B) Dominika Cibulkova (C) Sara Errani (D) None of them (Ans : A)
28. The winner of the SAFF Tournament, 2013 was–
(A) India (B) Maldives (C) Afghanistan (D) Nepal (Ans : C)
29. Which award is given for excellence in sports?
(A) Jamnalal Bajaj Award (B) Arjuna Award
(C) Tagore Award (D) Moortidevi Award (Ans : B)
30. ‘Prince of Wales Cup’ is associated with the game of–
(A) Hockey (B) Cricket (C) Football (D) Golf (Ans : D)
31. Who among the following was not associated with the excavation of Harappa and Mohenjodaro ?
(A) R. D. Banerjee (B) K. N. Dikshit (C) M. S. Vats (D) V. A. Smith (Ans : D)
32. Gautama Buddha gave his first sermon at–
(A) Vaishali (B) Kaushambi (C) Sarnath (D) Pawapuri (Ans : C)
33. Who is called ‘the Napoleon of Ancient India’ ?
(A) Chandragupta Maurya (B) Pushyamitra (C) Kanishka (D) Samudragupta (Ans : D)
34. Which Chinese traveller visited India during Harshavardhana’s rules?
(A) Fa-Hien (B) Hiuen-Tsang (C) I-tsing (D) Taranath (Ans : B)
35. What is ‘Dhai Din Ka Zhonpda’ ?
(A) Mosque (B) Temple (C) Saint’s hut (D) Tower (Ans : A)
36. In which language was “Tuzuk-i-Baburi’ written?
(A) Persian (B) Arabic (C) Turkish (D) Urdu (Ans : C)
37. Who was the commander of Rana Pratap’s army in the Battle of Haldighati ?
(A) Amar Singh (B) Man Singh (C) Hakim Singh (D) Shakti Singh (Ans : C)
38. Where was the capital of Shivaji ?
(A) Raigarh (B) Sindhudurg (C) Poona (D) Kolhapur (Ans : A)
39. In which year was the Regulating Act passed?
(A) AD 1757 (B) AD 1765 (C) AD 1773 (D) AD 1793 (Ans : C)
40. Who was the Governor-General of India in 1857 ?
(A) Wellesley (B) Dalhousie (C) Canning (D) Minto (Ans : C)
41. After which incident Mahatma Gandhi had called Non-Cooperation Movement as his ‘Himalayan Blunder’ ?
(A) Chauri-Chaura (B) Kheda Satyagraha
(C) Nagpur Satyagraha (D) Rajkot Satyagraha (Ans : A)
42. Which movement started after the Partition of Bengal ?
(A) Civil Disobedience Movement (B) Swadeshi Movement
(C) Quit India Movement (D) Non-Cooperation Movement (Ans : B)
43. Who was the first Indian woman President of the Indian National Congress?
(A) Mrs. Annie Besant (B) Sucheta Kripalani (C) Sarojini Naidu (D) Indira Gandhi (Ans : C)
44. Where did Madam Cama hoist the first tricolour flag in 1907?
(A) London (B) Paris (C) Moscow (D) Stuttgart (Ans : D)
45. Who was the founder of Nalanda University ?
(A) Chandragupta Vikramaditya (B) Kumargupta (C) Dharmapal (D) Pushyagupta (Ans : B)
46. At which place in Bihar Gandhiji had his first Satyagraha ?
(A) Champaran (B) Chhapra (C) Bettiah (D) Patna (Ans : A)
47. Who was the author of ‘Indica’ ?
(A) Vishnugupta (B) Megasthenes (C) Diamechus (D) Pliny (Ans : B)
48. Which Sikh Guru was born at Patna?
(A) Nanak (B) Teg Bahadur (C) Hargobind (D) Gobind Singh (Ans : D)
49. Who ‘Was the President of Gaya Session of the Indian National Congress held in 1922 ?
(A) Chittaranjan Das (B) S. N. Banerjee
(C) Dr. Rajendra Prasad (D) Hakim Ajmal Khan (Ans : A)
50. By which name is Jay Prakash Narayan known?
(A) Lokmanya (B) Loknayak (C) Lokhitvadi (D) Lokneta (Ans : B)
51. Which country has the largest coastline?
(A) USA (B) Australia (C) Canada (D) India (Ans : C)
52. The largest producer of aluminium in the world is–
(A) France (B) India (C) USA (D) Italy (Ans : C)
53. The Pennines (Europe), the Appalachians (America) and the Aravallis (India) are examples of–
(A) Young mountains (B) Old mountains
(C) Block mountains (D) Fold mountains (Ans : B)
54. Match the rivers with the cities through which they are flowing and select the correct answer using the codes given below–
City : (a) Rotterdam (b) Paris (c) Budapest (d) Washington
River : 1. Seine 2. Potomac 3. Rhine 4. Danube
(a) (b) (c) (d)
(A) 2 3 1 4
(B) 1 3 4 2
(C) 3 1 4 2
(D) 4 3 2 1 (Ans : C)
55. Which is the largest metal trading centre?
(A) Johannesburg (B) New York (C) London (D) Singapore Ans. (C)
56. Which of the following drainage systems fall into Bay of Bengal?
(A) Ganga, Brahmaputra and Godavari (B) Mahanadi, Krishna and Cauvery
(C) Luni, Narmada and Tapti (D) Both (A) and (B) (Ans : D)
57. The oldest oilfield in India is–
(A) Bombay High, Maharashtra (B) Ankleshwar, Gujarat
(C) Navagam, Gujarat (D) Digboi, Assam (Ans : D)
58. In India, ‘Yarlung Zangbo River’ is known as–
(A) Ganga (B) Indus (C) Brahmaputra (D) Mahanadi (Ans : C)
59. Which one of the following is the driest station?
(A) Mumbai (B) Delhi (C) Leh (D) Bengaluru (Ans : C)
60. Which amongst the following States has not identified tribal community ?
(A) Maharashtra (B) Chhattisgarh (C) Haryana (D) Karnataka (Ans : C)
61. Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary is located at–
(A) Chandigarh (B) Bharatpur (C) Gurgaon (D) Gandhinagar (Ans : C)
62. The forest area in India per person (in average hectare) is–
(A) 0.23 (B) 0.34 (C) 0.20 (D) 0.29
63. Which of the following States has agricultural area less than 60 per cent?
(A) West Bengal (B) Punjab (C) Uttar Pradesh (D) Bihar (Ans : D)
64. ‘Nagarjuna Sagar Multipurpose Project’ is on which river?
(A) Tapti (B) Kosi (C) Godavari (D) Krishna (Ans : D)
65. Dalmianagar of Bihar is famous for–
(A) Silk (B) Cement (C) Leather (D) Jute (Ans : B)
66. How much square metres forest area is there in Bihar?
(A) 2812 square metres (B) 3612 square metres
(C) 2461 square metres (D) 2612 square metres
67. The two States of India, most richly endowed with iron ore are–
(A) Bihar and West Bengal (B) Madhya Pradesh and Odisha
(C) Bihar and Odisha (D) Madhya Pradesh and West Bengal (Ans : B)
68. What is chiefly found at Jharia in Jharkhand?
(A) Thorium (B) Silk (C) Gold (D) Coal (Ans : D)
69. Which of the following towns is located easternmost of Bihar?
(A) Bhagalpur (B) Patna (C) Katihar (D) Purnia (Ans : C)
70. Which of the following lakes is situated in Bihar?
(A) Anupam Lake (B) Sambhar Lake (C) Sukhna Lake (D) Kama Lake (Ans : A)